What to Expect
IUPUI is committed to providing support for ALL students who wish to study abroad
Sexual identity, race, gender, and other issues may be approached differently in the host country where you choose to study abroad.
The Study Abroad Office is here to advise you on any concerns and provide resources to assist with your transition to life abroad.
Studying abroad can provide a unique opportunity to explore LGBTQ+ communities in other countries as well as their history and culture. It is important to keep in mind that every country is different and that students should be aware of their chosen study abroad program’s environment in regards to the expression of LGBTQ+ identity.
Below is a list of resources for LGBTQ+ students to view and look through to get a better understanding of traveling abroad.
General Resources for studying Abroad
- UMN Orientation Module Video for LGBTQ+ Students
- Go Abroad: An LGBT Student Guide to Studying Abroad (including programs that explore LGBTQ+ issues and LGBTQ+ friendly destinations)
- University of South Florida’s extensive country guide: LGBT Student Guide for Education Abroad
- U.S. Passports & International Travel: LGBTI Travel Information
- CIEE: Identity: Sexual and Gender Expression Abroad
Information for Transgender students
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Travel tips for transgender people
- U.S. Passports & International Travel: Gender Transition Applicants
If you wish to speak with an advisor about international experiences as it relates your LGBTQ+ identity or study abroad in general, please feel free to contact us via email or come in during our walk in hours, Monday- Friday, 9AM-5PM. Please also contact the LGBTQ+ Center for further resources and/or references to LGBTQ+ members that have studied abroad.