Study Abroad Planning Scholarship
The Study Abroad Planning Scholarship is offered through the IUPUI Study Abroad Office
Need help funding your study abroad experience? As a degree-seeking undergraduate student within your first year at IUPUI, IUPUC, or IUFW, you may be eligible to apply for the Study Abroad Planning Scholarship of $3,000. The Study Abroad Planning Scholarship was created in order to support and encourage global learning for IUPUI, IUPUC, and IUFW undergraduate students through participation in an approved study abroad program. Applicants to the scholarships do not need to have already identified a program or know exactly what that they would like to do abroad. This is an opportunity to explore all international options.
- November 13, 2020
For more funding options, check out our full list of scholarships and financial aid.Find other scholarships
- Must be a degree-seeking undergraduate at IUPUI, IUPUC, or IUFW
- Must be within the first year at IUPUI, IUPUC, or IUFW (have completed no more than two Fall and/or Spring semesters)
- Financial need as determined by your FAFSA filing
- No previous international experience
- Special consideration will be given to first generation students
Eligibility to Receive Funds from Awarded Scholarship
Funds will not be posted to your IU Bursar account until shortly before the term in which you will study abroad.
- Participation in a study abroad program approved by the IUPUI Study Abroad Office.
- The credit earned from program must count towards the recipients' IUPUI, IUPUC, or IUFW degree.
Please note that individual study abroad programs will have GPA requirements and may have course pre-requisites. Scholarship recipients will need to meet these expectations in order to participate in the chosen program.
Recipients will be selected on the basis of financial need and the thoroughness and depth of responses to the application essay questions.
At least once each semester before studying abroad, recipients are expected to:
- Attend a study abroad office event (study abroad fair, welcome back reception, outreach event, funding session, etc.) or meet with a Study Abroad Office staff member or assigned mentor to discuss plans and interests in study abroad
- Provide a formal update to the Study Abroad Office about study abroad plans
- Meet with their academic advisor and/or career counselor about how study abroad can fit into your academic or career plans
You must be willing to complete these requirements if you apply for this award. If you fail to complete these requirements, you may be required to return all or part of your award.
- Award recipients will write a 2-3 page reflective paper about their international experience upon completion of their program, to be submitted to the Study Abroad Office.
- In addition, award recipients must also participate in one volunteer function coordinated by the IUPUI Study Abroad Office to promote the internationalization or IUPUI. The Study Abroad Office will contact you about opportunities to fulfill this requirement.
- Go to One.IU.edu.
- Search for Scholarships.
- Click on the “Scholarships (Blackbaud Award Management)” task and log in with your IU username and password.
- Complete and submit the General Application (if you haven’t already).
- Once you have submitted the General Application, click the Opportunities tab, then click Ours.
- Type “Study Abroad Planning Scholarship” in the search bar.
- Select the “Study Abroad Planning Scholarship.”
- Click the Apply button to open the application.
- Complete and submit the Study Abroad Planning Scholarship application.
- Who do you hope to become by the time you finish your undergraduate degree at IUPUI?
- How do you think study abroad could help you in becoming that person?
- Why do you think study abroad is important?
- Brainstorm what you think it would take for you to study abroad (personally, academically, financially, and logistically).