Before You Apply
We know you’re eager to apply. First, take these steps.
As you search for the ideal program and prepare to apply, contact us with any questions. We offer study abroad advising for every step of the process.
Identify Your Goals
What do you want to gain from your international experience? Spend some time considering this question. Your answer will affect everything from which program you choose to what you do while you’re abroad.
Explore IUPUI Study Abroad Programs
- What do you want to learn, do, and experience while you are abroad?
- Where do you want to go? Choose among more than 50 countries and 17 languages, including English.
- How long do you want to be abroad? Options range from a few days to an academic year.
- Where do you want to live? With a host family? In a dorm with students from the host country or from the United States? In an apartment?
- Do you want to take classes with other IUPUI students, other American students, or students in the host country?
- Do you want to do service learning while you are abroad?
- Are there programs that work well with your IUPUI academic program?
Look at Eligibility Requirements and Application Deadlines
The application deadline is generally early in the term before you would be abroad—for example, you would apply in early fall for a spring program—but deadlines vary by program.
Talk to Your Academic Advisor
You can earn academic credit in most programs. Your advisor can tell you if the credit will apply to your degree and can help you plan how you can go abroad and graduate on time.