| March 2014|
Upcoming Deadlines for Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 Programs
Applications for a few remaining Summer and Fall 2014 programs are open!
Upcoming deadlines: Summer 2014
- China: Confucius Institute's Summer Program - February 28
- Costa Rica: Biology - March 1
- France: Go Green - March 7
- Germany: Go Green - March 7
- India: Explore Health and Economic Issues - March 10
- Germany: Summer Internship Program - March 15
- South Korea: PETM International Sport Organization - March 21
Upcoming deadlines: Fall 2014
- UK: University of Derby Exchange - March 1
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or come by our office in ES 2129B between 9am and 5pm. No appointment needed!
Volunteer at an IUPUI Study Abroad Event
The Study Abroad Office has many events throughout the year that need the assistance of student volunteers. To better coordinate the various opportunities available, we are now using VolunteerSpot. To access the opportunities and sign up, click the button below:
Please keep the following in mind:
- Please look at the description of the activity to determine if you are eligible to volunteer (many activities require students to have returned from a study abroad experience)
- These volunteer experiences satisfy the volunteer requirement of the IUPUI International Experience Scholarship
For questions, please email email@example.com.
10th Annual IUPUI International Festival
IUPUI's 10th annual International Festival will take place on Thursday, February 27, 2014, from 10:30am to 2:30pm in the Campus Center, First Floor.
Learn more about the wide range of international opportunities for research, collaboration, and engagement at IUPUI and in the community.
Enjoy FREE FOOD from multiple countries, courtesy of IUPUI Food Service.
Enter the Best Dressed Contest for a chance to win prizes. Wear traditional clothing from your home country or a place you've visited.
More information is available here.
Being Arab: An Exploration of Arab Culture & Society
There are still many activities still available for you to attend.
- Arab Country Fair March 3rd, 11:30a-1:30p Campus Center Atrium
- "Reel Bad Arabs" Film Screening & Skype March 4th 6-8p Lilly Auditorium
- "From Jerusalem to All Nations: Christians in the Middle East" March 6th, 4:30-6:30p ES 2126
- "The Golden Age of Arab Seafaring" March 10th, 5:30-6:30p ES 2100
- Panel Discussion "Women in Arab Society" March 11th, 4:30-6p Lilly Auditorium
- "Assal Eswed (Black Honey)" Movie Screening March 13th, 6-8p Lilly Auditorium
For more information, please see this flyer.
Flagship Chinese Institute
Indiana University's Flagship Chinese Institute (FCI) is an intensive Mandarin training program for beginning to intermediate-mid students who are committed to participatory, experiential, and immersion-style learning.
Graduating high school seniors and current undergraduate and graduate students from IU, as well as other universities, are all encouraged to apply.
The program takes place in Bloomington, IN.
Students must apply for FCI online at www.indiana.edu/~fci.
The final deadline for application is March 1st.
For more information, please see this flyer.
General Pre-Departure Meetings
Are you preparing to travel abroad? The Study Abroad Office will be offering general pre-departure meetings this fall for anyone who would like to learn more about packing, health and safety tips, handling money, communication, cross-cultural understanding, and more!
- Tuesday, March 4th, 2014, 2:00p-4:00p
- Monday, March 31st, 2014, 11:00a-1:00p
- Wednesday, April 23rd, 10:00a-12:00p
- Thursday, May 1st, 2014, 5:00-7:00p
- Wednesday, May 21st, 2014, 10:00a-12:00p
- Tuesday, June 10th, 2014, 11:00a-1:00p
All General Pre-Departure Meetings will be held in the Global Crossroads Classroom (ES 2132)
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one day before the meeting.
Funding Info Sessions
Would you like to learn more about how to fund a study abroad experience? Come to one of the Study Abroad Funding Info Sessions for information on:
There is one more session scheduled for the Spring Semester:
- Thursday, March 13th, 1:30-2:30 pm, ES 2132
Advisors and instructors: please share our flyer with any interested students!
Study, Research, or Teach English Abroad on the Fulbright Program U.S. Student Program in 2015-2016
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for graduating seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and creative and performing artists to spend an academic year abroad. Fulbright awards can support a variety of activities in over 140 countries, such as
- Studying and/or conducting research abroad (study/research grants)
- Teaching English (English Teaching Assistantships)
- Working in public policy (Fulbright-Clinton Fellowships)
- Researching the cultural force of music (Fulbright-mtvU Fellowship)
The Study Abroad Office will hold information sessions for interested students on the following dates in the Global Crossroads Classroom (ES 2132):
- Tuesday, March 11th, 12:30-2:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 26th, 9:30-11:00 am
For more information about Fulbright U.S. Student Program, please visit http://us.fulbrightonline.org. Grant preferences and options differ for each country, so it is important to look carefully at the country profiles on Fulbright's website.
Students interested in applying for the Fulbright Program for 2015-2016 are encouraged to fill out this form and email it to the Study Abroad Office (email@example.com). Students will be paired with a Fulbright Mentor who can assist with choosing a country, provide feedback on the application, and help establish contacts abroad.
Note: The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is open only to U.S. citizens. Students who are citizens of other countries should consider opportunities available through the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
Gilman International Scholarship
The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affair's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program is pleased to announce that the online application is now open for students participating in study abroad programs and internships during the summer 2014 and fall/academic year 2014-2015 terms. The Gilman Program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply. For more information about the Gilman Scholarship, webinar schedules, and other helpful resources, including subscription to Gilman Advisor Newsletters, please visit the Gilman website at www.iie.org/gilman.
Summer 2014 & Fall/AY 2014-2015 online applications are due March 4, 2014 by 11:59pm (central)
Students applying for any academic term must meet the eligibility requirements below:
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited two- or four-year U.S. institution
- Receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term abroad
- Be a United States citizen
- Participating in a study abroad program or internship that is no less than four weeks (28 days) in one country and no more than an academic year
- Applying to or accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for academic credit by the student's home institution
- Studying or interning in any country not currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning or Cuba
The Gilman International Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE). Since the program's inception in 2001, the Gilman Program has awarded over 15,000 U.S. undergraduates of high financial need to study and intern abroad in over 130 countries from more than 1,100 institutions.
For more information, visit www.iie.org/gilman.
Thanks to all supporters of the Gilman Scholarship Program. We look forward to awarding our next round of Gilman Scholarship recipients for the summer 2014 & fall/AY 2014-2015 terms!
Go Abroad Club
Are you curious about study abroad, or are you looking for a way to keep your international experience alive? Connect with other students who have studied abroad, as well as those who are interested in studying abroad, by joining the Go Abroad Club!