Outreach Ambassadors are here to help YOU go abroad!
Study Abroad Outreach Ambassadors are a team of students working as study abroad champions for IUPUI! They promote study abroad to the IUPUI community, particularly within assigned academic areas.
Being a Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador is a professional development opportunity to enhance your understanding of intercultural learning and have an active role in internationalizing the IUPUI campus.
Meet the Ambassadors
We are currently accepting applications for a Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador for Spring 2019 who has experience with one of the following IUPUI schools: Science, Engineering & Technology, Informatics. Position is open until filled and starts as soon as possible. Selected candidate may have the opportunity to continue in the position the next academic year. See Application Instructions below.
Benefits of Being an Outreach Ambassador
Outreach Ambassadors will work an average of 10 hours per week for the IUPUI Study Abroad Office and receive compensation of $10.15/hour. Ambassadors advance their professional, communication, and analytical skills as well as deepen their knowledge of international education in the context of their field of study.
Study Abroad Outreach Ambassadors will work primarily within an assigned grouping of academic areas, and should have experience in at least one area of their grouping. Suggested academic groupings include:
- Science/Health Sciences/Engineering & Technology
- Informatics/Art & Design
- Liberal Arts/Education
- Social Work/Philanthropy
- Honors/University College/IUPUC
Being an Outreach Ambassador is a great way to channel your study abroad experience into professional practice, help students attain their study abroad goals, and support campus internationalization efforts at IUPUI.
Eligibility, Qualifications, and Skills
To apply to be a Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador, you must:
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student at IUPUI
- Have previous experience studying abroad
- Be able to work independently and efficiently
- Have strong self-motivation and discipline
- Be able to strategize and think creatively
- Have excellent written, verbal, presentational, and interpersonal communication skills
- Have strong attention to detail
- Be able to interact with members of the IUPUI community in a professional manner
- Commit to schedule and training requirements
Commitment and Responsibilities
Being a Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador is a year-long commitment with the possibility of continuing the following academic year. Outreach Ambassadors will work an average of 10 hours per week through a combination of independent work and participating in scheduled outreach events. Ambassadors will attend training sessions in mid-August and early in the school year, as well as regular check-in meetings with the Assistant Director of Study Abroad.
- Design strategies to increase study abroad participation within assigned academic groupings
- Hold information tables, sessions, and other promotional events targeted at students in assigned disciplines
- Use technology creatively to share information about study abroad
- Assist study abroad program leaders with recruitment efforts within assigned academic groupings
- Support Study Abroad Office at general study abroad events including fairs, Welcome Back Reception, classroom presentations, information tables, information sessions, and pre-departure meetings
- Hold Study Abroad 101 Sessions for students of all disciplines
- Assist in the development of new marketing materials to target students within assigned academic groupings
- Read all the information on this page carefully.
- Prepare information needed for the application. The application consists of the following sections:
- Essay Questions
- Briefly describe how your study abroad experience complemented, enhanced, or otherwise had an effect on your on-campus studies and academic and career interests. Address how these effects can benefit other students and the IUPUI community as a whole. (300 words or less)
- What are your ideas for increasing study abroad awareness and participation within your academic grouping? (300 words or less)
- Complete the online application:
- Go to the JagJobs portal and log in with your IU username and password.
- If you have not used JagJobs before, you should be prompted to create an account and upload your resume. Complete all required steps.
- Once your account is created, search for Study Abroad Outreach Ambassador to find the job posting and click on the posting to open it.
- Read the posting thoroughly.
- To apply, click the Apply button near the top right corner of the page.
- You will need to select the resume you uploaded. You must also include a response to the essay questions listed - please upload these responses as a separate document.
- Click the Submit button to submit your application.
- Only eligible applications will be reviewed. If you are selected for an interview, the Study Abroad Office will contact you. If you have questions about how to use JagJobs, please contact the Office of Student Employment at (317) 274-456.
- Read all the information on this page carefully.
Questions? Contact the Study Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.